About 10 months ago, we put out a post about using Google Maps to collectively map what you like most about our town.
In partnership with The City of Lafayette’s Economic Development Department, we’re relaunching and re-asking for more of your input on this topic.
The City will be collecting and using this information for a 3-day Project for Public Spaces ‘Placemaking Workshop’ October 6th, 7th and 8th . Project for Public Spaces (PPS) is an internationally recognized, nonprofit planning, design and educational organization dedicated to helping people create and sustain public spaces that build stronger communities.
View The Map Collective: Your Favorite Place in Town in a larger map
What should I write about?
Ever had an idea for Downtown that didn’t make any sense? Write about that.
Want a zip-line from Triple XXX to Sgt. Preston’s? Let us know.
Want to hold an outdoor movie series featuring your all-time favorite martial art’s movies? I’d go to that.
How do I participate?
1) Log into a Google account — any Google account — to edit the map.
2) Click where it says “View The Map Collective: Your Favorite Place in Town in a larger map” above.
3) Click the orange “Edit” button.
4) Some tools will pop up at the top of the map window. You will see a hand, a blue marker, and a squiggly line. Select the blue marker, and drag it to where you want to leave a point on the map. A window will pop up looking for text. Tell the story in the window! Tell us all about it!
- What happened here?
- Why is this place awesome?
- What makes it special?
- Who makes it special?
- What should other visitors look for?
- Please limit your contributions to public spaces, and don’t include your poor grandmother’s address. I’m sure her pie is lovely.
The squiggly line gives you the option of adding a path to the map. Want to draw a line along the Wabash Heritage Trail? Need to draw a line from Columbian Park to Frozen Custard? Knock your socks off.
5) If you want to give it a funny or custom marker, click on the marker in the text box, and it will give you the option to choose amongst Google’s options or even to upload your own.
Please feel free to play, edit, contribute, and explore.